School Cancellation FAQ
Below you will find several questions that relate to cancellations in Barren County Schools.
- How is the decision to cancel school made? See district transportation page for details.
- How are notifications made when school is cancelled? We have multiple means of notification for school closings - local TV and radio broadcasts, social media as well as the One Call system. The information on closings may be available more quickly on some outlets than others. Please do not depend on a single type of notification system to monitor school closings.
How are decisions made to close school for flu or illness?
Precautions are taken throughout the school year (i.e. hand washing, cleaning of buildings, etc.); however, when flu or illnesses reach high levels within the school or community, it is sometimes necessary for school to be cancelled. Typically, when attendance rates fall below 90%, school officials must seriously consider cancelling school. When attendance rates fall to this level, the school district looses funding from the state.
- How many make-up days are built into the school calendar? None. However we do have possible makeup days listed on the current school calendar.
- When I was in school, we didn't have to make up every single day. While this used to happen, the regulations regarding minimum amount of instructional time have changed. Students must complete a minimum 1062 hours during a school year.
- Is it possible to add extra time to the school day in order to make up missed days? This option is only available with state approval and only after an excessive amount of missed days as determined by the state,
- Why can't we use Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as a make up day? The Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS 158.070, 6 (b) states that "all schools shall be closed on the third Monday of January in observance of the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr." We are not able to use this as a make-up day.
- Why are Spring Break days are listed as possible make-up days? This is an option, however, we will exhaust all other possibilities before these days are considered.
- When will graduation be? Graduation is typically the last instructional day for students.
- When is the last day of school? Please see current School Calendar.