What is Children’s Day? The United Nations’ (UN) Universal Children’s Day was established in 1954, and is celebrated on November 20 each year to promote international togetherness and awareness among children worldwide. UNICEF, the United Nations Children’s Fund, promotes and coordinates this special day, which also works towards improving children’s welfare.
How did Children’s Day get started in Glasgow/Barren County? Dr. Bharat Mody saw a need in our community and had a vision. In 2012, he sought the assistance of community members and the Family Resource and Youth Service Centers in Barren, Caverna, and Glasgow schools to help identify unmet basic needs of our area children. As a result a proclamation was signed in 2012 establishing November 20th as Children’s Day in Glasgow/Barren County.
Each year on Children’s Day a huge celebration is held showcasing the talents of Barren, Caverna, and Glasgow students. Proceeds from this wonderful event go to help area children in need. This year our Children’s Day Celebration will be held in the Barren County High School Gym from 6:00 -8:00 pm. Admission is free and any donation will be greatly appreciated.
If you would or someone you know would like to become a sponsor of our Children’s Day Celebration or need additional information contact your Family Resource and/or Youth Services Center staff in your school.
There are several ways to help:
1. Become a sponsor – proceeds will provide basic needs items for area children.
- $1,000 Platinum Sponsor
- $500 Gold Sponsor
- $250 Silver Sponsor
- $100 Bronze Sponsor
2. Donate funds to help purchase the following items for children:
- $5 assists with Food for BackPack Program
- $35 assists with Shoes
- $10 assists with School Supplies
- $40 assists with Winter Jackets
- $20 assists with Hoodies
- $50 assists with Special Needs Items
3. Offer discounts at your business during the month of November or on Children’s Day
*Buy an adult meal, get a kids meal free.
*Free kids admission
*Buy one item, get one free
*% off children’s clothing, shoes, school supplies, haircuts, etc.
4. Have a special event for children at your church, club or place of business.
5. Purchase a Celebrating Children’s Day t-shirt for $. T-shirts will be available for sale in late October. For more information on ordering contact you Family Resource or Youth Services Center or Vicki Morrison
6. Attend our Celebrating Children’s Day event at the Plaza Theatre in November. Admission for children is free and suggested donation for adults is $10.
All proceeds will be used to help area children. If you would like additional information or have questions, please contact any of the members of our Children’s Day Committee below:
Dr. Mody – 651-8789
Tina Combs–Community Medical Care-659-0229
Brenda Chaney–Barren County YSC-629-5509
Tammy Lindsey–South Green FRC-651-1327
Penny Huffman–Western Barren Co. FRC-651-1319
Becky Honeycutt–Highland FRC-659-0342
Wilma Bunnell–Caverna FRYSC-773-4665
Susie Bishop–T. J. Samson Hospital-651-4745
Vicki Morrison–Glasgow Housing-651-3859
Children's Day at the Plaza- November 2014