Barren County Schools
Appropriate Use Policy (AUP)
The Barren County School System has made a significant investment in technology so that you will have the opportunity to develop the skills in your students necessary for them to excel in our modern world. With this investment in technology comes a great responsibility to provide our students with a positive well-structured environment that will foster creative learning and to teach them skills that apply to real world problem solving.
In order for our investment to be maximized we must follow these rules:
· I am aware that the computers are the property of the Barren County School System and any information stored on them is the property of the Barren County School System.
· I will not engage in any illegal activity including copyright infringement, vandalism, harassment, or discrimination, i.e. copying licensed software, downloading MP3’s, downloading hacking software, installing net bus, etc.
· I understand that I am financially responsible for any malicious damage or vandalism that I cause. Vandalism is defined as any attempt to harm or destroy the physical computer, the data stored on the computer, the operating system, or any applications installed on the computer; or to tamper with another person’s data, upload or transmit any known virus, or cause damage to the Barren County Schools’ network, file server or other network connected to the KETS Internet backbone.
· I will not alter the setup of any school computers or load programs or services without the expressed permission of the School Technology Coordinator and/or principal.
· I understand that the network administrators and the District Technology Coordinator have the right to access any information stored in my user directory, in my computer email account, or on the current screen.
· I understand that all Internet traffic of sites visited and duration of time in the pages will be logged.
· I will not knowingly download/upload inappropriate graphics or text from the Internet or via email.
· I will not access newsgroups, chatrooms, or similar services.
· I understand that the use of my school email is for educational purposes only and that the content of my mail will be randomly checked.
· I will not open, forward, or create chain letters, joke of the day, or any other form of non-educational email.
· All third party e-mail accounts (i.e. Hotmail, Yahoo mail, etc.) are expressly prohibited.
· Changing or adding email backgrounds, icons, ect. is not acceptable use of email.
· I understand that my user account which gives me access to the Internet, email, and my home folder will not be activated until the appropriate AUP form has been signed and returned to district technology office.
· I will not attempt to access the network with other user accounts or give my account information to another user. Doing so will result in the immediate loss of my user account and computer privileges.
I understand that it is my responsibility to have a working knowledge of the Internet and other technology services to the degree that I understand this policy.
I understand that any violation of this policy or the student policy will result in actions by the Barren County Board of Education. In severe cases, violations may constitute grounds for further actions.